Pages

22.07.2011- Fashion in Motion: Yohji Yamamoto

Friday, 22 July 2011

At the start of the month, my best friend Sarah and I went along to the Yohji Yamamoto Fashion in Motion event at the Victoria and Albert museum. We'd been to the Kenzo show last November, and were very excited to see the work of another designer up close against the backdrop of the museum's breathtaking Raphael Gallery. Celebrating the retrospective of Yamamoto's work which had been housed in the museum until only a few weeks ago, the show had an entirely different aesthetic to the Kenzo presentation and featured a selection of both menswear and womenswear. Most endearingly of all, however, the looks were modelled by real life couples from London, mirroring the approach Yamamoto took to casting his Spring/Summer 1999 menswear show, where the models were handpicked from the streets of Paris. The designs featured in the presentation showcased Yamamoto's famous approach to cutting womenswear; loose, flowing fabrics and shapes were utilised to create a distinctly androgynous feel. The menswear featured was also quite unconventional, with suits in a riot of colours and longer lines used to play with proportion.


I really enjoyed this event, and loved the fact that the models were real couples. I'm now on a mission to track down a t-shirt with the slogan 'I am a deeply superficial person' on!

Have you ever been to a Fashion in Motion event? And are you a fan of Yohji Yamamoto's work?

(Image credit: Sarah Farrell, please do not reproduce without permission. Images edited using Picnik.)

14 comments:

  1. Stunning pictures! Love the structure of Yamamoto clothing! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool looks!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, love all the clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky to have been to this event! It looks like it was absolutely fantastic. I was lucky enough to go to the Yohji retrospective at the V&A, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I wish I could have gone to the show!

    xoxo
    Meera

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos I 'm loving that the models were all real couples, what great atmosphere and realism that adds to the clothes, I'd love to go to a Fashion in Motion event. And Croatia's on my to do list too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That show looked great! What fantastic snaps :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful photos! I love the romantic gothic feel of the first two outfits.

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photographs. And n'aw, real-life couples - love that! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous collection! I'm ashamed to admit that I'd never even heard of Yohji before. Which is surprising since his work is stunning. I especially love the menswear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely post! :) you are so pretty!

    xx
    come see mine:
    http://vt-chance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great - thanks for blogging about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So jealous! I had tickets to go but ended up starting a new job that day :(
    Lovely pics xx

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground