Pages

15.04.2012- What I Wore Today #19

Sunday, 15 April 2012

On Friday evening I went along to a talk at the V&A, which centred on the evolving role of digital media in the fashion industry. Chaired by Hywel Davies from Central Saint Martins and featuring a panel of guests from companies including Karla Otto, Purple Magazine, Dazed, and Hearst Group, it was a really informative discussion about the changing face if the fashion industry, new ways of engaging audiences on a digital level and the influence of blogging. It was also a great chance to catch up with some blogging buddies, including Sarah, Hannah, Jazmine, Michelle and Lily. It was lovely to say a quick hello to Rebecca too- her blog is amazing and one of my recently discovered favourites! And, shocking as it might seem, the outfit I wore was an entirely denim free zone:

 Tee- Marc Jacobs
Skirt- c/o Clothing at Tesco
Belt- Vintage (Rokit)

After receiving £30 of gift credit to redeem at Clothing at Tesco when I went along to their SS12 press event (the video of which you can see here!), I was determined to pick up something which pushed me out of my clothing comfort zone. I've been tempted by maxi skirts in the past, but struggled to find on which suited me. I'd pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I was destined never to embrace the maxi trend, but when I spied this on the Clothing at Tesco website, I bit the bullet and ordered it (nothing ventured, nothing gained after all!) When I first tried it on, I was a bit sceptical about how it looked, purely because it's so unlike anything I have hanging in my wardrobe. However, after trying it with a few different tops (and after some confidence boosting from my mum!), I threw caution to the wind and kept hold of it. I finally plucked up the courage to wear it on Friday (well if you can't go all 'trendy' at a fashion talk then when can you?!), teaming it with a casual Marc Jacobs tee which I picked up for £20 at Fashion's Night Out last September. This is a look which is the polar opposite of the floral, girly styles which I'm usually such a fan of, but I think it's good to step out of your comfort zone every once in a while. I've certainly found a whole new outfit which I love in doing so!

Do you ever wear things which you don't think fit in with your signature style? And are there any pieces which you've bought on a whim but been surprised by?

(Image credit: Sarah Farrell, please do not reproduce without permission.)

10 comments:

  1. In answer to your question, yes! I live by the motto 'You never know until you try'. This goes for everything in my life (like uni, which I did well at, despite my reservations), as well as fashion! I honestly thought maxi skirt would be horrendous on me, but I bought one recently in Primark and adore it! I love this outfit, it's so chic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit! I've always wanted to be able to wear maxi's without feeling too dressy, and you've nailed it. Sounds like a really interesting event at the V&A too
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this outfit, especially the skirt! I always buy things on whim, but sometimes regret it because it's not my style.

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Marc Jacobs tee is to die for! I swear you snagged it for a good price. I need to try stepping out of my feminine style..it sounds like a lot of fun to experiment with something new :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfit, and the v&a is a wonderful place :)
    I forgot how much I loved the phrase 'throw caution to the wind' until I read it on here, I may have to use that soon! hehe

    Karys x
    whoisgrumblebeard.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really like that skirt xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great outfit! Especially the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really suits you! I like it. :-) I feel exactly the same when I wear something that I don't think is quite me. It feels like I may as well be wearing a sandwich board that says OBVIOUS OBVIOUS OBVIOUS. Like everyone should be staring at me because I look too obvious haha.. When I probably look totally normal. I hope. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You looked lovely! I wouldn't never have guessed this isn't something you'd normally wear, you seemed pretty comfortable in it :) So glad to meet you too. And thank you for saying such wonderful things, can you blush on the internet?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute outfit Sarah!! Loving the top xx

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground