Pages

03.04.2014- Monki Business

Thursday, 3 April 2014

As far as staple shops go, I tend to stick to a handful of favourites and don't really veer too far away from the brands which I know and love. Zara, Whistles and ASOS are all all go-to destinations for me (window shopping or otherwise!), and I'm very much a creature of habit in the sense that I rarely explore other stores. However, over the weekend I sat down and had a proper browse of a few websites which I'd bookmarked but which I'd neglected for a while, and I was really pleasantly surprised by what I found- particularly over at Monki. When their first store launched in London a few years ago you'd have struggled to tear me away from it, but recently it's a brand which I'd completely (and remissly!) neglected- something which I put down to avoiding Central London for shopping at the weekend like the plague! After seeing a few snazzy Monki designs pop up on some of my favourite blogs, I made a point of heading over to their website to have a peek at what they've got in stock for this season- and I wasn't disappointed: 
 photo monki_zps9a4357f8.jpg
Fiona Sweat, £30/Carrie Shirt, £20/Unni Sunglasses, £8/Cecilia Trousers, £20/Isbel Bag, £15/Tania Blouse, £25/Iris Sweat, £30, all Monki

The thing which I love about Monki when compared to so many high street brands is the sheer sense of character which comes through in every design. This is a brand which really knows how to have fun with fashion, and one which really sets itself apart from the crowd in so doing . This floral print sweatshirt has more or less taken pride of place at the top of my wishlist- it's a real transitional staple and the pretty pansy pattern is perfect for injecting a touch of spring into your wardrobe. I adore the colour palette too- ideal for teaming with dark denim and some statement accessories. This vivid blouse has definitely taken some inspiration from the SS14 catwalks- the bold lip print seen at Giles seems to be being replicated left right and centre on the high street. Monki's take on the trend is probably my favourite so far, and this design would add the perfect touch of character to a more formal look. 

The transition in seasons always presents the perfect excuse to invest in some new accessories, and these statement sunglasses are a really thrifty way to update lots of old favourites for spring and summer. With accessories in mind, this simple clutch is another savvy spend- and ideal if you're heading off on holiday. If you're a regular reader, then you'll know that I'm something of a fan of the printed trouser- and this pair are a real new favourite of mine. As well as co-ordinating perfectly with the sweatshirt, they're simply summer perfect- and anything that blurs the line between pyjamas and daywear is a true treasure in my book! Given that Monki started life in Scandinavia, it's perhaps no surprise that as well as pretty prints and quirky accessories, the majority of their aesthetic is inspired by a distinctly minimalist approach. This long sleeved white blouse offers a really refreshing take on a true wardrobe essential, with the high neck adding a really modern feel. Likewise with this sweatshirt- a simple piece which feels really fashion forward and which nods to the pretty pastels which are proving so popular this season. 

Are you a fan of Monki? What do you think of my pics? 

(Image credit: Monki)

4 comments:

  1. I have yet to purchase anything from Monki but always browse the store when in Carnaby St... I think this will change after seeing those trousers! LOVE! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the pink sweat, it's stunning! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the floral print <3

    Ellen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Monki's quirky designs too! You've reminded me to pop on down to Carnaby street again soon for a wander...

    ellenunderwater.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground