Pages

29.05.2014- What I Wore Today #188

Thursday, 29 May 2014

As I've grown into my own 'grown up' skin (well, it's still a work in progress!) I've become a lot less concerned about pleasing other people, particularly in terms of how I look or what I wear. It's funny to think back to being a teenager and remembering how image seemed to dictate everything- from how well liked you were to what group you 'belonged to'. If anything, I think this can only have become scarier now- I'm so glad I'm not a fourteen year old, monobrowed, braces wearing student at school these days. Confidence is definitely something which I think you grow into too- both in terms of becoming comfortable in your own skin, but also in developing your own sense of style. So many of your formative years- whether at school, college or university- are generally dictated by the people around you- and in hindsight I'm sure most of us really wished we had taken the opportunity to stand out from the crowd more, rather than trying to blend in. As I've touched on in a few posts before, as I've grown up a bit, I've realised that there's no sense in worrying about pleasing everyone else- and taking a few steps outside your sartorial comfort zone is no bad thing:

Dress- Zara 
Leggings- Topshop 
Trench Coat- Whistles 
Shoes- Gap 
Bag- Zara 
Sunglasses- Topshop (c/o Westfield London) 
Watch- Michael Kors (c/o John Lewis)

A few years ago, this sort of statement piece is something which I would have actively avoided. Now it's one of my new wardrobe favourites, and is from none other than Zara (surprise surprise!) The unusual print is something which really caught my eye (hey hey!), and as well as being seriously in love with the pattern, I also adore the 60s inspired shift shape. Here I paired it with some wardrobe staples from Gap, Topshop and Whistles- simple favourites which sit nicely alongside such a standout piece. It's definitely one of the most fun pieces I've picked up in a long time and I'm sure I'll be wearing it a lot as it's become a real feel good favourite already. 

Has your style evolved as you've grown older?

(Image credit: Sarah Sandiford, please do not reproduce without permission.)

5 comments:

  1. Really cool dress and sunglasses!!

    ellenunderwater.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rocked this dress completely! I definitely need to remember to add bright pops of colour, gotta be braver init xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see so many beautiful bloggers pull this off! (You included)
    Such an iconic piece! You look great

    Kelly from | Daydreams & Daisychains

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, confidence definitely comes as you get older! You look fab, you pull off this quirky dress so well! x

    Josie’s Journal

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground