Pages

10.11.2014- What I Wore Today #207

Monday, 10 November 2014

With the evenings drawing in and chilly winter mornings well and truly with us, I think it's safe to say that we've seen the last of our short lived Indian Summer. Although I'm a December baby, I'm really starting to struggle with winter- particularly the lack of sunshine and shorter days. Fighting the urge to hibernate (and armed with my newly purchased thermals!), over the weekend I decided to make the most of a clear day and be a bit of a tourist in my own city- exploring lots of hidden nooks and crannies around the West End as well as paying a visit to a very special installation at the Tower of London:

outfit9thnovember1
outfit9thnovember2
Coat- Warehouse
Jumper- c/o Hush
Jeans- c/o Hush
Bag- Warehouse
Shoes- Gap
Sunglasses Vintage, via Beyond Retro
Ring- c/o Gemporia
Phone Case- c/o Iconemesis

I picked up this coat from Warehouse at the start of autumn when they were running a 20% off promotion, and it's proving perfect for facing the winter blues head on with a bold pop of colour. The slouchy, boyfriend inspired fit is also perfect for pairing with my more casual everyday favourites, as I did here with some amazing wardrobe essentials from Hush. Regular readers will know that I'm a firm believer in stocking up on winter woollies way ahead of time, and this black, poncho style roll neck is the perfect everyday basic- effortlessly chic and super versatile, as well as being incredibly easy to wear- I can definitely see this becoming one of my most worn winter favourties. Most of you will know that I'm also a real fan of jeans- and during the winter months, it's pretty rare that I branch out into wearing anything else as they are just so practical. This straight cut pair are a real wardrobe staple in waiting, and again work really well for a more pared down, relaxed feel. Some other new favourites in the shape of this gorgeous Fifi Lapin phone case from Iconemesis and rose quartz ring from Gemporia came with me, and are also really helping to cheer up my winter days- it's the little things sometimes, isn't it?

poppies
poppies2

Finally, I couldn't put this post together without sharing little snapshot of one of the most moving parts of my weekend. I was finally lucky enough to be able to head over to the Tower of London to catch Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red- the installation marking the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War. There really are no words which can describe how poignant the artwork is, and seeing the carpet of poppies filling the moat firsthand is something which I'm so glad I was able to do. The meaning and message behind the work, and the tribute which it pays to the fallen of World War One is incredibly moving, and if you're in London over the next couple of days, I'd definitely recommend paying a visit to catch it for yourselves. I've never experienced anything as emotive- and can't think of a better way to say thank you to the heroes who lost their lives between 1914 and 1918. 

Have you been to see the poppies at the Tower of London? What did you think?

(Image credit: Sarah Farrell, please do not reproduce without permission.)

3 comments:

  1. THOSE RINGS!!!! I think I need them in my life, don't you? Also love how you matched the poppies.

    - Elodie x
    http://www.elle-yeah.com

    PS - I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the red coat although if you do figure out a way to hibernate please let me know the secret! The first time I saw the Tower Poppies was one of those moments where everything else just stops - so amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outfit is ace (I really love that coat!) and I am so jealous that you got to see the poppies, they look really beautiful from the pictures I have seen!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground