Pages

21.07.2015- Summer Style: In Flight Fashion

Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Although there's no denying that the prospect of going away on holiday can result in some instant zen-like calm washing over you, sometimes the process of booking a trip, packing and making it to the airport in time can be a bit of a stress fest, particularly if you're contending with hand luggage restrictions. When I last went away (to sunny Morocco!), I know one of the things which I found particularly tricky was negotiating what I was and wasn't able to pack away in my carry-on bag, but with some careful planning and preparation I managed to (somehow!) have enough space left in my case for plenty of books and some all-weather wardrobe essentials. Speaking of wardrobe essentials, deciding what to wear on your flight can be a little bit of a dilemma too- and I know that the last time I was on a long-haul flight I wish I'd packed a set of pyjamas to change in to! Having said that, there are plenty of flight ready fashions in the shops at the moment, many of which offer perfect capsule wardrobe options for the rest of your holiday too:

High Neck Tunic Dress, £42, Warehouse/Botanical Kimono, £45, Oasis/Stone Set Ring, £8, Warehouse/Ray-Ban Wayfarer Sunglasses, £125, Net-a-Porter/Cloudy Stone Statement Collar Necklace, £20, Warehouse/Whistles Verity Mini Backpack, £180, Very Exclusive/Jacquard Stole, £22, Accessorize/Knitted Cardigan, £22, Boden/Graphic Hoop Earrings, £17, & Other Stories/Superstar Supercolour Shoes, £67, Adidas

It's a style truth universally acknowledged that you really can't go wrong with the humble black dress. This simple style from Warehouse caught my eye a few weeks ago, and it really is an ultra-versatile essential, which makes it a must for any suitcase, don't you think? I've become something of a kimono convert over the last year or so, particularly as they're such a great option for making a statement without having to make too much effort. I tend to team the styles which I have in my wardrobe with block colours, and this floral print design from Oasis would be a real boon to any selection of basic pieces, as well as perfectly practical for keeping cosy during a flight.

With practicality in mind, I'm always sure to stash a cardigan and scarf in my hand luggage- a must for any plane journey, particularly if you feel the cold as keenly as I do. This basic cream knit from Boden is a great neutral essential, and again a real holiday staple if you're jetting off somewhere which has a tendency to get a little bit chillier in the evenings. This Accessorize scarf is simple and super chic, and again would seamlessly see you through your holiday as it's a real multi-purpose gem. In terms of accessories, I tend to keep jewellery to a minimum when I'm on holiday, but this simple ring from Warehouse is a lovely finishing touch. Sunglasses are another summer style essential, and you'd be hard pushed to go wrong with a classic pair of Ray-Bans; these Wayfarers have been on my wish list for ages, and if you can't treat yourself when you're going on holiday, than when can you?! 

A statement necklace is another great holiday must-have, particularly if you're teaming it with lots of basic bits and pieces. This design from Warehouse is a new found favourite of mine, and I can imagine it being a real investment purchase. Holiday hand luggage can be a fair old headache, but recently I've come to realise that the humble backpack presents the perfect solution- particularly as it leaves you hands-free to tackle the baggage carousel/clutch onto your passport for dear life/carry more Duty Free purchases! This Whistles number is ideal for travelling, and such a simple staple that you'd definitely get plenty of use out of it long after you'd disembarked. With simple accessories in mind, these earrings from & Other Stories have well and truly rocketed to the top of my wishlist, and again, would prove the perfect addition to a pared down holiday ready wardrobe. Regular readers will also know that I'm a huge fan of comfortable footwear, and can think of no sturdier (or more stylish!) investment shoes than these much coveted Adidas Supercolours- ideal for saving on suitcase space if you've got a walking-heavy break planned!

Although there's no escaping suitcase stress, there are plenty of products in the shops and online which are designed to make the packing process as hassle free as possible. I know from experience that it's virtually impossible to decant the entire contents of your makeup collection into a carry-on bag, and although traveling light with toiletries can be a little bit of a headache thanks to hand luggage restrictions, it's the perfect opportunity to get to grips with some new hero products:

Nars Cheek Palette, £45, Selfridges/Foreo Luna for Combination Skin, £145, ASOS/Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve (75ml), £14/Alphabet Bags Large Canvas Pouch, £20/REN Glow and Go Kit, £12, ASOS/Tweezerman Eyelash Curlers, £17, ASOS/Stila Eyes Are the Window Palette, £30, ASOS/Eyebrow Tamer, £10, Space NK/Pineapple Phone Case, £40, Kate Spade

If you're traveling light but don't want to compromise on your everyday beauty bounty, then you'd be hard pushed to go wrong with this cheek palette from Nars, which offers the perfect combination of summer holiday ready shades as well as a bronzer and highlighter. Bonus points for the ultra compact brush too!  Although I'm not a stickler for a strict skincare routine if I'm heading off on holiday, it's still important to keep thinks ticking over, particularly if you're contending with strong sunshine. My skin has improved dramatically since I invested in my Foreo Luna, so it's a staple which would be right at the top of my packing list. There are plenty of travel sized goodies to invest in too- and Kiehl's have got a lovely miniature selection of their full size favourites on offer, including their hand salve- essential for any long-haul journeys. Keeping things organised is also a must- and this pretty pouch from Alphabet Bags is a brilliantly bold way to see you on your way stress-free.

If you're looking to treat yourself to a bit of pampering on your holidays, then this Glow and Go Duo from REN is well worth snapping up, particularly as both of these masks are tried and tested treats from their mainline skincare range- the Flash Rinse Facial is still one of my must-haves. My mascara tends to slide (both literally and metaphorically!) when I'm heading off anywhere hot, so a good pair of eyelash curlers are a great fuss-free alternative- these ones from Tweezerman are a brilliant investment purchase. If you're finding that suitcase space is at something of a premium, then a compact palette like this one from Stila is a perfect alternative to packing lots of separate shades- and the colours are gorgeous too, don't you think? Keeping things compact, this eyebrow tamer from Space NK is a great alternative to bulkier beauty buys, and well worth snapping up if the combination of saltwater and sunshine means that your brows (like mine!) tend to be more unruly than usual! Finally, giving your gadgets a summer makeover is the perfect way to get holiday ready- and this colourful phone cover from Kate Spade is just perfect for the job!

What are your in flight fashion and beauty essentials?

(Image credit:  Warehouse, Oasis, Net-a-Porter, Very Exclusive, & Other Stories, Accessorize, Boden, Adidas, Selfridge, ASOS, Kiehl's, Alphabet Bags, Space NK & Kate Spade.*This is a collaborative post.)

2 comments:

  1. I need those mini Ren products! I always pack a big scarf for in-flight as aeroplanes are either far too hot or far too cold! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Lily, I ALWAYS pack a huge Zara blanket scarf since I do love to wear shorts on flights - assuming the weather permits it, of course!


    - Elodie x
    www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground