Pages

18.11.2015- Beauty Buys: The Winter Lipstick Edit

Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Although it's grey and gloomy outside, I'm determined not to let those pesky winter blues win, and have been finding plenty to keep me distracted, particularly as we head towards the festive season. I'm also using the chilly weather as the ideal excuse to ramp things up on the pampering front, and shortly after last payday I made a point of treating myself to some winter beauty buys to keep things cheerful. I've posted in the past about deploying some of my favourite colour cosmetics at this time of the year, from nail polishes to some of the best blushers around, and injecting a hint of boldness into your everyday winter look with some beauty essentials is an instant mood booster. At the moment, I'm getting a bit experimental with some statement lip shades, which couldn't be better for this time of the year:

Revlon Colour Stay in Ultimate Suede, Nars Cruella Lip Pencil, Rimmel Lipstick in Alarm, L'Oréal Paris Colour Riche in Blake's Delicate Rose, Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Grand Cru

Revlon always have a host of gorgeous shades on offer, and this plum hue couldn't be more autumn appropriate. I really like the formula as it's moisturising too- and I haven't noticed a compromise on colour at all when I've been wearing it, so it gets a big thumbs up from me! Cruella by Nars is a statement shade which I return to on a fairly steady rotation as it's one of those tricky to find hues which works well with paler (read: semi-transparent!) skin tones. I do tend to find it a little bit drying though, so have taken to mixing a little bit of the colour with some lip balm just to make it a little bit more wearable for long stretches.

Rimmel is another favourite of mine when it comes to instant pick-me-up shades, and Alarm is an old favourite. With a slightly more orange tone, it incorporates just the right balance of warmth, and stands up to all day wear without fading too much at all. A little while ago I mentioned that I had my eye on L'Oréal's latest Colour Riche collection, so it will probably come as no surprise that last week I took the plunge and popped this pink purchase (Blake's Delicate Rose) into my shopping basket. It's a brilliant everyday hue, and a lovely, refreshing alternative to some of the darker colours which I tend to reach for by default at this time of the year. You might also remember that I featured this Bourjois offering in a post back at the start of the autumn, and a few months on I'm seriously converted- it's got incredible staying power so is one I'd well and truly recommend- although I've found it easier to apply with plenty of practice as the wand takes a little bit of getting used to!

What are your go-to lip shades for winter?

(Image credit: Sarah Farrell, please do not reproduce without permission.)

3 comments:

  1. Ah these all look so gorgeous Sarah - couldn't possibly pick my fave!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of Blake's Delicate Rose - so pretty! x
    LilyLipstick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have left my NARS Cruella in London and I am so, so sad about this... I guess it just makes me look forward to next month even more!

    - Elodie x
    www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground