Pages

30.06.2017- Day Tripping: Marwell Zoo

Friday, 30 June 2017

A few weeks ago, fully equipped with a week off of work (hurrah!) and some sunny weather in prospect, I made a trip down to the glorious Hampshire countryside- more specifically, for a visit to Marwell Zoo. It's a destination which I visited so much as a child, so is a place which holds some very special memories- not least one of seeing a giraffe being born with my nanny and granddad at the age of about 6 (perhaps the reason why I've always been so fascinated by animals!) These days I don't get to visit as often as I would like to, so having the chance to explore again as an adult was long overdue:


Set in 140 acres of sprawling, wide open space, this visit was the perfect antidote to the stress of the city- and having the chance to see some of my favourite animals was an opportunity which was wonderfully welcome too. I'll never cease to be amazed at the majestic beauty of giraffes, or their ferociously inquisitive natures.  Likewise, the imposing power of the tiger (especially accompanied by a pre-lunch roar or two!) was a real sight to behold- and really serves to drive home just how important it is to protect these beautiful animals in the wild. Other highlights included seeing a surprisingly active red panda, some seriously chilled out snow leopards, and a baby pygmy hippopotamus frolicking about in his pool. Oh, and a wild pheasant roaming the grounds too- no doubt surreptitiously on the lookout for a snack- an animal after my own heart!

Where are your favourite places to visit outside of the city?

(Image credit: Sarah Farrell, please do not reproduce without permission.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground